Tuesday 14 April 2009

The weekend and Mama's spicy potato recipe

Pete and I had a quiet long weekend. We both have exams next week, so did a little studying and plenty of moaning about how boring studying is.

I noted a couple of stories worth sharing:

- Is Amazon homophobic or did they just make an error?
- Tate art made available on iTunes - bring some culture to the masses!
- And this is genius... Cardboard Oven Wins £50,000 Green Contest

We took Pete's Godparents out for Sunday lunch and picked a load of young nettles later in the afternoon. We have gone all rural and are making nettle ale, as seen on Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall 's TV programme. Watch this space to hear how great (or otherwise) it turns out!

Talking of making things to consume, when I published the first part of "100 facts about me" back in November last year, I included the following statement:

-I believe that my mum’s spicy potatoes are a near perfect recipe.

I received several emails on this topic asking for more information (including one from Marco who has had the recipe for a while) and I have, at last, convinced my mother to pass on the secret recipe. Please cook, enjoy and appreciate how lucky you are!

Mama's Spicy Potatoes

2lb firm potatoes cooked in salted water
2tsp mustard seeds
2tsp turmeric powder
2tsp cumin powder
1 finely chopped chilli
2tbsp finely chopped coriander
3tbsp oil for cooking

Put all ingredients in large pan or wok and cook for a minute than add the potatoes and turn gently until all evenly covered with the spices. Enjoy them hot or cold. You can also add some parsley and coriander powder - but try the recipe as it is first.

1 comment: