Monday 2 March 2009

Sunday and movies

A relatively quiet weekend, but I managed to get a few things done around the house and garden and still have time to eat rubbish and drink beer and wine.

It's been a while since I told you about the films we have received by Lovefilm.com and also on TV - so here's my summary from my movie list on
IMDB with my ratings:

The Untouchables 8
[An oldish film I missed first time round, but good all the same]
Happiness 5
[shocking and although tried to be funny, I found it distasteful]
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 8
[I hate Jim Carrey, except when he actually acts! - very good film!]
Love Is the Devil: Study for a Portrait of Francis Bacon 3
[oh dear James Bond! - arty claptrap]
The Living End 4
[I like a good gay film - this isn't one of them]
The Darjeeling Limited 8
[A quirky film, but really enjoyed it]
Scoop 6
[Woody Allen has made some awful films in recent years such as Matchpoint, this as just about OK]
Mysterious Skin 7
[shocking, but thoughtful gay-ish film]
Silent Running 6 [I had hoped for a classic, idea great... acting awful]

Eagle vs Shark 5 [Pete liked it, I just found it annoying]
300 4
[Stupid and childish]
Air Force One 4
[Really unbelievable and so over the top pro-America that it was funny]
Leatherheads 7
[Not bad, but didn't need to silly chase scenes]
Lars and the Real Girl 4 [Another annoying film, I gave up before the end]
Latter Days 6
[An OK gay film, but needed more story before they fell in love]
The History Boys 6 [typical play that doesn't quite work on screen]
The Savages 8
[thoughtful and worth seeing]
The Family Stone 2
[absolutely crap story and annoying characters]


On Sunday, Pete and I took out the bikes for the first time this year. We cycled down country lanes and dirt tracks and I was knackered! My fitness level is so low and I had to push a few times. Pathetic! I may be going skiing with my brother in 3 weeks and if I cant manage a bit of cycling, the skiing could be tough going. It's not helped by the crap we ate yesterday... toast, scone, doughnut, hula-hoops, twix, dinner, cheese, beer and wine.

On a negative note, a significant number of my colleagues were "placed at risk of redundancy" this week at the company I work at - that basically means that in 3 months they will be out of work. I am fine... for now, but some of these people had worked there for over 10 years and are obviously upset. We shall see what happens with work over the coming weeks and months.

2 comments:

  1. Darjeeling Limited....I think I saw that...the train trip...right?? Love that too! But I couldn't disagree with you more on The Family Stone. I loved it so much that I bought it for keeps. And there are very few movies that I'll actually buy. I still get wound up in the hearts and lives of that family every time I see it. Maybe not an ingenious story line...but I saw many people that I know in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about Woody Allen. He seems to lack judgement in recent , but the new one is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete