Friday 2 March 2012

WTF Eurovision?!

British crooner Engelbert Humperdinck is to represent the UK at this year's Eurovision Song Contest!  The 75 year old will sing for the UK in May.  In theory, I have nothing against an older person singing for Britain, but this is a stupid idea! The reason to enter the competition has to be to win and therefore choose a winnable act that will appeal to the masses across Europe.
 
Eurovision winners these days will be young, with a certain style, memorable and have a song that is instantly catchy (probably with an East European rhythm and feel to appeal to the many "new" countries).  Choosing Eng' wont work and I just wonder if the plan was to ensure we don't win and therefore avoid having the cost of running the competition falling on cash strapped BBC.
 
If this trend continues, I assume that France will be considering 68 year old Johnny Halliday for their Eurovision entrant.

It's been a long time since the UK won...

5 comments:

  1. I'm not as hostile to this idea as you are, Stephen. It's an audacious decision which should make the contest even MORE interesting!
    If anyone really seriously wants the U.K. to win, well, I've long since given up on when that's going to happen, hardly ever thinking that the best entry actually comes out on top. In 2011 I put Azerbaijan, the winner, in about twentieth place. Though having said that, I did place Italy, the runner-up, as also being my own second choice (after Iceland, which came 20th!). There just ain't no telling how things will work out, so I'm quite happy with Engelbert having a go. However, must admit that I do have concerns on whether his heart will hold up to all the 'excitement'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's a crazy decision.

    We will come nowhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't David Cameron ensure we came nowhere when he exercised his non-veto veto in December?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe David Cameron should sing to make up for pissing off all the leaders

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear the foreign commentators getting their tongues around Eng's name!

    ReplyDelete