Tuesday 8 February 2011

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly


The good:

I read this weekend that audiences are applauding at the end of The King's Speech in cinemas.  I've not seen the film yet, but I hear it's good.  Who would have thought that a movie about an over privileged stammerer who have such an effect.  I have only ever been to one film where the appreciative audience clapped at the end - that was in a small cinema in the Barbican Centre for The Simpsons Movie.  A deserved reaction I think.

The bad:

Bad guys are everywhere in a new series on a new channel - Boardwalk Empire on Sky Atlantic.  The first episode was directed by Martin Scorsese and was the most expensive pilot produced for television. I have seen two episodes and it looks good so far, but all programmes like this will be compared to The Sopranos which was brilliant. Sky have launched this channel based on HBO programming and it seems pretty slick so far.  The next season of Madmen will be on Sky Atlantic instead of BBC4, which is a shame as adverts just don't suit some programmes.

And the ugly:

Pete noticed today that Enrique Iglesias has released a new song and it is was on the front page of iTunes.  I own nothing by him, so why would I comment?  Well, the song I saw is called "Tonight I'm f***ing you".  We played a clip and you hear the line "Tonight I'm fucking you".  I find this pathetic. Enrique must have an ego that is out of control to want to do this.  Everybody uses the F word - that's not the issue here. The song is distasteful on so many levels - the swear word was obviously crowbarred into the song for publicity and it sounds like "I don't give a damn about you, tonight I am getting a shag" - just read the lyrics.  I assume there could be some Rohypnol involved so he can get his end away? Enrique should be ashamed of himself.  The radio version is called "Tonight I'm loving you" and the lyrics make far more sense that way.

3 comments:

  1. I would recommend 'The King's Speech' - quite strongly, in fact; though the (large) audience I saw it with in Brighton gave a non-reaction at the end, which is fine by me. I only see about 2 or 3 films a year where I'd want to clap, but I don't think that this was one of them. One has to suspend one's disbelief at Colin Firth and Guy Pierce (as Edward VIII)- not to mention Timothy Spall as Churchill - looking very little like the figures they portray, whereas Helena B-C was at least visually convincing. But it's a little-known story and more than capably handled and the film will possibly end up in the lower reaches of my 2011 Top 10. So, yes. Go see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. King's Speech! The only movie I've seen in several years. Such a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to itunes to hear 30 seconds of the song.

    Enrique is one sad tosser. I agree with you that it's all about his ego.

    ReplyDelete