Sunday 12 July 2009

Songs you might like #1

Being a music fan, I like to hear new songs and the net is amazing for providing access to music. However, sometimes you "don't know what you don't know" and to be handed a track, album or artist that you come to enjoy is fantastic. With this in mind, I thought I would dig out some songs that you probably won't know and recommend them. You may love them, you may hate them - the choice is yours, but at least you had the chance to hear them. If you have suggestions of your own, I would love to hear more.

I started with a list of suitable tracks and stopped at around 30 (there would have been many more) and then semi-randomly whittled that down to 5 for this posting...


"Call Mr Lee" by Television


This is not the sort of track that I usually like, but late one night I was flicking through the music channels and this was playing on MTV2. The guitar style jumped out at me and by pure chance it appeared on a free CD on Q Magazine a couple of months later.


"Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith


The supergroup of Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Ric Grech and Steve Winwood made one eponymous album and this track is the best I think. I heard this many many years ago when a friend lent me an Eric Clapton boxset and this stood out for me as something special.


"I Will Follow You Into The Dark" by Death Cab For Cutie


A simple acoustic track from the Plans album which is their best in my opinion. I love the line "If Heaven and Hell decide that they both are satisfied, illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs". Also check out the excellent track "Soul Meets Body" also on this album.


"Le Vent Nous Portera" by Noir Désir


I heard this track on the radio when Pete and I were in France and I didn't catch the name of the band or title so it took me ages to track it down! Noir Désir albums are a mixed bag and approached with caution, but this song fuses various genres and works perfectly in my opinion.


"Hey Bulldog" by The Beatles

Including this one is a gamble. Everyone seems to know every Beatles track, but this rocking classic was hidden away on the Yellow Submarine soundtrack and missed by the general public. Roll on the remastered reissues.



Here are some short samples of the tracks... until the copyright police take it away:

6 comments:

  1. 'Hey Bulldog' rocks, good track, one of my Beatles gems.

    Along with 'Lend me Your Comb'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have at look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMOkfI7wCrI

    Is an electronic project of Ben Gibbard (singer od DCFC). It's really good, and you can download it from my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting choices and thanks for sharing. Love Death Cab For a Cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Roundabout" by Yes is my suggestion. Released years before I was born, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So a Westlife song wouldn't be a welcome suggestion

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roundabout by Yes has one of the best starts to a song. Well worth a listen and you cant say that about all Yes songs!

    ReplyDelete