Monday 19 July 2010

Top tracks - Death Cab For Cutie

This is a new feature on my blog - the top tracks from a favourite artist of mine. This time around I have chosen a group that I only heard about a couple of years ago. Finding out about a group that has an existing catalogue is instantly rewarding as you don't have to wait around for new music! The group is Death Cab For Cutie.

Their main man is Ben Gibbard. He is a prolific songwriter and has written songs with and for a number of artists.  Some would describe their sound as 'alternative' and I would put them in a similar space to R.E.M. - making accessible pop and rock songs whilst throwing in some off-the-wall tracks.  They range from heavy indie-rock through to acoustic simplicity.

The band have released 6 albums, a number of EPs and have appeared on some soundtracks too.  The top 20 songs I have selected are mainly from their later albums.  The first couple should be approached with care.  All tracks except Couches In Alleyways can be found on iTunes and Amazon as it's a live bootleg.  I am sure that fans will have their own favourites and I welcome any comments on this blog.
  1. Soul Meets Body (Plans)
  2. I Will Follow You Into the Dark (Plans)
  3. Meet Me On The Equinox (Twilight Saga - New Moon Soundtrack)
  4. Crooked Teeth (Plans)
  5. A Lack of Color (Transatlanticism)
  6. I Will Possess Your Heart (Narrow Stairs)
  7. Your Heart Is an Empty Room (Plans)
  8. My Mirror Speaks (Open Door EP)
  9. Marching Bands of Manhattan (Plans)
  10. Couches In Alleys (Ben Gibbard Live bootleg)
  11. Someday You Will Be Loved (Plans)
  12. The Sound of Settling (Transatlanticism)
  13. Summer Skin (Plans)
  14. A Diamond and a Tether (Open Door EP)
  15. What Sarah Said (Plans)
  16. Brothers on a Hotel Bed (Plans)
  17. Title and Registration (Transatlanticism)
  18. Stable Song (Plans)
  19. Transatlanticism (Transatlanticism)
  20. Bend to Squares (Something About Airplanes) 
Here is a link to the iTunes mix, so you can hear snippets of the tracks (except number 10).

4 comments:

  1. My favorite off 'The Open Door EP' is 'I was Once a Royal Lover', Ben Gibbard is an awesome talent, love his work with Postal Service as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Soul Meets Body - my five-year-old daughter is a huge fan too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some 5 year olds have great taste

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good list, but I would have included "Photobooth," "Company Calls," "Company Calls Epilogue," "Passenger Seat," and "We Looked Like Giants."

    ReplyDelete