Friday 3 October 2008

Badoo, iphone, but no Britney Spears

This week, I did a little research into search engines and how my blog could show up on searches. It's really complicated!!! I've been exposed to crawlers, bots, sitemaps, atoms, rss and other terms that make no sense to me at all. I am no internet code wizard.

However, in the unlikely event that keywords and tags in this site will get a googlebot interested, I thought I would see what the world was searching for. The latest Google stats are from 2007 and although there are peaks in the year - the World Cup being one, here are the top 10. I had to look some of them up to find out what they were.

1. iphone - I would have been surprised if it wasn't there.
2. badoo - To my surprise I don't know what it is! Well,
badoo is a "multi-lingual social networking website".
3. facebook - Doesn't everyone have an account already on this social networking website?!
4. dailymotion - Not what I first thought it might be... it appears to be a Youtube ripoff.
5. webkinz - Yet another site I'd not heard of. This time
webkinz is a toy that also has it's own virtual web presence. All looks very clever and a marketing dream!
6. youtube - We all know this one.
7. ebuddy - Is new to me and is a web and mobile messenger.
8. second life - It's for sad loners who want to escape to another world isn't it?
9. hi5 - Yet another social networking website and is huge is some countries.
10. club penguin - This is a Disney site that is a virtual world aimed at kids, who will one day become sad loners who want to escape to another world
.

So it seems that social networking and video are big on the 'net at the moment. In 2005, Britney Spears and 50 Cent were tops on every search engine - how times change. With all these great keywords now in my blog, I'll be a top search on Google right??!?.... errrm no, I don't think I will somehow.

1 comment:

  1. Stephen, thanks for stopping by my blog. I've enjoyed your posts but I have to admit that football (our soccer) is over my head. I do enjoy watching it when I eat dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant - no idea what's happening since I don't know the rules and it's in Spanish but it sure looks interesting. As you know, I like to list things and I love this list of search engine keywords. I may have to "borrow" your idea, but I'll give you a shout out in the process.

    ReplyDelete