Tuesday 18 September 2012

September movie update

Here are the films that Pete and I have received from Lovefilm.com and watched on TV and DVD over the past few months in reverse order, with my ratings out of ten from my movie list on the IMDB.
  

 
The name suggests some blood and gore, but this film is more than that. A gripping drama about a man thrust into the limelight after a robbery at his cafe.
  
Kick-Ass (2010) 7*
Another very violent film, but this is all comic violence. Silly, but good fun all the same.
  
Breathing (2011) 6
Unusual German film (a random pick) about an 18 year old youth in a detention centre and his stalled attempts at getting back into society.
  
Entertaining and interesting on many levels... you can read my thoughts here.  

High Fidelity (2000) 7*
The Nick Hornby book that became a film - all about relationships and music. 
  
The Grey (2011) 5
Long film that goes nowhere. Quite dull really.
  
The Players (2012) 6
French comedy starring the two same actors in lots of scenarios. Some bits very good, some parts really awful.
  
21 Jump Street (2012) 7
I laughed far more than I thought I would. My review is here.
  
Children of Men (2006) 7*
A really interesting take on the future where all women become infertile. A great idea that could have been taken much further.
  
Cinema Paradiso (1988) 8
The classic Italian film - not sure how I missed it until now. A feel good film.
  
  
* Previously viewed

3 comments:

  1. Hist/Violence - I'm a bit puzzled why, after I'd just seen it in 2005, I gave it a mere 6. I certainly remember thinking it was rather good, and reminding myself now of the details, I still feel that way. In retrospect it seems to be worth a '7' at the very least.

    'Kick-Ass' - I gave this a '5.5' - and for this one don't feel inclined to shift.

    'High Fidelity' - yes, I agree a '7'.

    'Children of Men' - liked this even more than you did. An '8'.

    'Cinema Paradiso' - haven't seen this since viewed in 1990 at London's excellent (and pricey) Curzon Mayfair cinema on a visit from my home, at that time, in Germany. This was before I started giving scores, but even more than two decades later I recall liking it ( As you know, it's now regarded highly quite generally). I think that when I catch it again I'd be seconding your score of '8'.


    Of those I didn't catch, or haven't yet caught, I'd like to see 'The Players' - and, though it's not within my usual range, be willing to give '21 Jump Street' a go.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I love Kick Ass - it's ****ing crazy and not PC at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why 4 pre-viewed films this month?

    ReplyDelete