Sunday 23 January 2011

I take this man...

"I take this man"??!?  No, not me... this weekend was the re-arranged vow renewal ceremony for my mum and dad. Fifty years married and bickering their way into the future.

The service was originally planned for December, but had to be postponed due to the snow.  Yesterday was a lovely day and the small village church was full of family and friends.  I am not religious, but I am in awe at our little church that has stood at the highest part of the village in its current form for hundreds of year.

I had arranged some music, chosen by my parents and they walked into the church to Barbra Streisand's 'Evergreen'.  The Bose system I had borrowed filled the church perfectly and as they reached the alter, arm in arm, the track ended.  I couldn't do that again!  The service was excellent and the vicar was very witty giving my Dad to "admit Mum is always right" which raised a laugh and that "love is more than sharing your last Rolo".

Pete and his mum came along and it was great to see a friend of mine and his family, who I don't see enough of.  After the service, we had a party at the local pub and I managed to drink for about 6 hours while chatting from people, some of whom I hadn't seen for many years.  I love talking to my cousins, not just about growing up and the time we spent together, but also about their lives today.  I think we all turned out OK.  And they all like Pete, which makes it easier!

Home now and just a little exhausted.

1 comment: