Friday 8 July 2011

It's the end of The World as we know it

Yesterday it was announced that the News Of The World newspaper is to end publication after 186 years due to the phone hacking scandle (plus other questionable practises). The Murdoch empire has destroyed a piece of newspaper history.  I have shared my views on it's sister newspaper before and I wont go over that again.  Suffice to say that I wont be missing this newspaper - the News Of The World and The Sun represent the worst of this country in my opinion. 

Closing the 'paper is a cynical attempt to fool the public into thinking that News International is a caring business. They have closed the newspaper just days after management had mentioned merging some operations of the two papers anyway.  And with 2 fingers sticking up, they have already registered www.thesunonsunday.co.uk and the .com version!  They have no intention of losing their share of the Sunday market.

They have one agenda - to make money at all costs.  Making money is good - "at all costs" is bad.  If I owned a major business that wanted to advertise, I would have avoided these publications anyway and found other ways to meet my audience, but will they now return to the NOTW2?

I doubt very much that other newspapers are whiter than white and after years of self regulation, perhaps it's time to get really serious.  With websites dedicated to listing the lies and mistruths in every issue of The Sun, The Mail etc, it shows that something is wrong with our tabloid press.  Have we now had enough of being treated like idiots and laying there and accepting it?

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure many people realize they're idiots, being played for fools. Here in the US studies have shown that frequent viewers of FOX news know less about the world, environment, and other cultures than those who are not. Murdoch's media has played a huge part in the dumbing of America - and many other countries.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that this hateful newspaper has died. Openly racist and hating everyone who cant defend themselves.

    ReplyDelete